Monday, February 9, 2009

A few of my favorite things...

Remember that wonderful Domino book I mentioned? The first chapter has some fantastic discussion on how to create your own look. David Bromstad (of HGTV fame) uses aspects of the same principles. To determine your look, check out what you are attracted to. The reason I had to repaint my "happy" laundry room was because I didn't pick colors I could live with. They may have been great together, they may have been in balance, but they weren't MY colors. They were absent from my wardrobe, they were absent from my artwork. They were absent from my life. Then there's the style factor. I can look at a fabulous room and know that I could never live in it. For example, this is a room from the Horchow House website. I love the colors, but not the balance of colors. I adore the entertainment center, but the room itself is far more ornate than anything I have.




But here is another room that fits my taste a little more closely.


Note the similarity in color schemes. When I get ready to put MY room together, it will be important to have a folder of my favorite things from which to draw design ideas. I will need to assess how comfortable each aspect is, and to what I am drawn. I'm in one of those creative modes now. I guess my husband will be coming home to a new room, soon.

No comments: